Text size: A A A

Benefits & Entitlements:

Personal Independence Payments

Benefit Cap

Universal Credit

Employment and Support Allowance

Housing Benefit

Finance Support

Disputing a Social Security Benefit Decision

Use our benefit and budget calculator


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is one of the largest changes under Welfare Reform. This new benefit will be for those of working age (16-64) and replaces six of the main working age benefits.

This benefit will assist with living and housing costs. It will also help carers and people who are too ill to work with childcare costs.

Payment of these benefits will be made to a household twice monthly. A monthly payment can be requested. Your housing costs will be paid directly to your landlord.

The six benefits that are replaced by Universal Credit are:

  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income related)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
  • Income support
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing Costs (Rental cost only)

Please note that help with rates will no longer be available under Universal Credit and this will have to be applied for separately via Land and Property Services. This will be called Rates Rebate. Apply here - https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/create-or-log-in-to-a-rate-rebate-account.

For more information about Universal Credit please click on https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/introduction-to-universal-credit

Tenants problems with Universal Credit

Latest News

Clanmil Chief Executive to retire after over 30 years at the Top

Clanmil Housing Group Chief Executive, Clare McCarty has announced her plans to retire at ...

A Fundamental Review of Social Housing Allocations

The Department for Communities has published the outcome of its consultation on a fundamen...


Work has started on the redevelopment of a derelict building in Waterloo Street in Derry C...